A game in which the outcome would determine the future of the sport...
Wow. Well, I'm sitting watching the election returns come in with M. It's the culmination of an exciting day...and exciting election...and of course a crucial time in our lives.
The thoughts are tumbling and I want to remember them.
I'm not sure if it's the players involved in this election, the fact that it's the first I've experienced but not covered since the career change or if it's just my love of news and politics, but it's been so interesting...so thought-provoking...so tough. I've thought...prayed...hemmed and hawed because it feels as though this is such an important election. More so than I can really express with words.
This morning, I woke up at 5:30am and pretty much lept out of bed to turn on the TV. The last few weeks have been filled with debate and punditry and I love it! Hearing what a variety of people think and choosing for myself.
Anyway, I woke up so early to watch and am still feeling that same anticipation! The day at work was pure torture knowing that a in a few hours we would know. Finally know!!!
There is a feeling of anticipatory excitement in the air everywhere...the voting lines (long, long voting lines) where parents were animatedly chatting with the kids they brought to observe...the elderly election workers were recognizing and cheering for the new, first time voters...where the old man patted an 18-ish guy on the shoulder and told him to remember how important it is to vote...how it's such an important responsibility.
(which of course, brought tears to my eyes thinking of my grandfathers...all they saw and fought for so we can have the privilege to vote)
That same feeling was in the air at work...where people proudly displayed their "I voted" stickers, talked about the lines and how they too can't wait to hear the results. And about how Tim Russert would have been positively gleeful at the excitement of this race!!
A feeling that history is happening. Whether it's the first black man elected to the presidency or first woman elected VP. History. Progress. So exciting. A feel like I've not experienced progress like this in my lifetime. Wow.
So, as I watch the results of Ohio, Virgina and Pennsylvania roll in, I'm saying a quiet prayer of thanks...for a true democracy, a society that little girls and minorities can dream of being president and the assurance, of course, that none of this is a surprise to our Lord, who continues to be in control.
And I'm loving the anticipation.
3 comments:
Thank you for this beautifully expressed post. I agree on all counts. It has been an extraordinary day in an extraordinary time.
And now I need to get back to the coverage. It's not over yet...!
Obviously, it's a moot point now, but I just wanted you to put a face to those "exceptions" in the abortion debate.
Our daughter Amanda falls into the "exception" category. I'm so thankful her birth family is prolife without exception.
Very thoughtful posts.
katie
Hi Katie,
Thanks for the comment on my political post. I agree and want to clarify. I don't believe any of the "exceptions" make abortion right. I feel it is always wrong and would never personally support it. Even in "mother's health" cases. If I were to ever be blessed with a pregnancy and it for some reason came down to my life or the baby's...it would be the baby, no doubt. I don't believe abortion is ever right.
Thanks for sharing your story! Your Amanda is a real cutie!
Post a Comment