Wednesday, April 8, 2009

And the saga continues...

Editors note: Due to a natural disaster (the flooding of the raging Red River in Fargo, N.D./Moorhead, MN) this blog has been taken hostage by flood updates and general "how they're doing" posts so friends and family can keep track of what's going on in the world of the writer's parents. Lovely, pithy posts may or may not return sometime in the near future.

Hello! Well, just when the cities of Moorhead and Fargo started returning to normal (back to school, etc.), this happened:


For those not "in the know" on flood control, this is a dike/levy. In the middle of the street. Made of mud. Yes, apparently flood control engineers are little boys at heart who relish the chance to take out the dozers and play with dirt in the street. I guess I can't blame them.

Anyway, mom said she didn't sleep very well last night, because she kept hearing the "Bang! Bang!" of dump truck tailgates slamming shut. Now, this is the view from their driveway:

And I thought Fargo/Moorhead was unscenic at best before this started. Uff.

Here is the update from Mom about the newest phase:

"We have been kind of relaxing, sorting stuff, washing clothes, etc. for the last few days. Nice to have some routine - even if the all contents of the basement are in the upstairs. We have the sewage leak under control, have disinfected exhaustively, and torn out the downstairs bathroom. That was an enormous pain.

We received news last Friday that the river my go up and crest higher than the first time in the next week or so. This is due to the large amounts of snow (thanks to two blizzards lately) still on the ground in the F-M area and south of us. The city of Moohead is raising clay dikes to 44 feet, reassessing and improving as needed the standing sandbag dikes, building secondary and third line dikes. So, since we live across the street from the river we are having a 4 foot dike built on the street in front of our house. This is a huge blessing for us - eliminates the need for sandbagging- but we will have to park several blocks away and hike in through the alley and the four foot snow drifts. The third line dike will go up about 5 blocks away. Getting around will be trickey - but better inconvenienced than wet.

Please keep us in your prayers - especially the leaders and first line people (law enforcement, firemen, National Guard, city works)."

When I asked her today if she was scared, she said she was. "I have been the entire time. It is stressful to have this happening and repeating. I think I am alittle reality overloaded from '97. Seeing firsthand the devastation of a flooded city is something you never forget. But - I see plenty of evidence of God's protection of us also (like the dike, the insurance, the help) So -- take it a day at a time. And, hike to your car. And be thankful for the cool weather.
Just hope we can be strong and supportive of everyone."

She should really write this blog. She's much funnier than I am.

Oh. One last thought. I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago and visited this. I think they may be on to something here.


Just saying.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Love the last photo and suggestion. I see where you get your sense of humor from. Stay strong, Sarah.

sarah said...

ha ha. you're hilarious! thanks for the update.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my goodness- glad they are all ok!

Steph

egronberg said...

Have you looked at the marathon route? Apparently there's no guaranteed safe crossing from Fargo to Moorhead and back, so it's two huge loops from the Dome to 94 and back. Ugh. I'm still determined to have fun, eventhough my favorite cousin bailed :-)