Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Best Card I've Ever Received

A couple days before Mother's Day a friend at work stopped by my desk, handed me a card, and asked me to open it.

I did, and this was inside:
Yep, a Mother's Day card. You'd think, that with my job and all, I would know the full impact a card can have. And I do, to an extent. But in that moment, and I stood and hugged this dear lady, I realized that I would be celebrating this day. A day that I have longed to celebrate for so long.

As this pregnancy has progressed, it's been a mental battle of protecting my heart vs. celebrating the blessing of a pregnancy. While Michael and I are both thrilled and feel so blessed, there is a layer of protective covering we've laid on our hearts where they've broken.

Each day, each point of progress has been a step.
Positive pregnancy test? Step one.
Heartbeat at the first appointment? Step two.
Week 11 checkup...Week 15 checkup...Week 19 checkup...each a bit closer to assurance.
Each giving us a bit more permission to enjoy the blessing...to relax in the knowledge that we are one step closer to holding a baby in our arms.

Perhaps the worry is unnecessary as we've often been told.

Or perhaps it's just the first step in a lifetime of worrying about the one the Lord has entrusted us to bear...to raise...to care for. You know, the worries of being a Mom.

**please ignore the stuffing on the floor. Oggy had just gutted a new stuffed animal! haha.

3 comments:

Staci said...

You are so cute pregnant!! Miss you! I continue to pray for you, baby girl and Michael. Love you

Linda said...

You are correct about that lifetime of worrying. Trust me, your mom still worries about you, and she always will. It comes with the territory - and a small price to pay for all the good stuff that you are about to thoroughly enjoy....

lilytheflower said...

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you and Michael! You two will be amazing parents to this little girl. Thanks for sharing your journey with me and others. By the way, you're NOT fat, you look beautiful as always and glowing. Enjoy your pregnancy!