Sunday, February 28, 2010

Getting There is Half The Fun?


So, we recently returned from what was supposed to be a nice, relaxing trip to Cancun.

And while it had most of the things we were looking forward to...beach, sun, sand, warm...getting there was a bit of a horrific adventure that made me scared to ever leave the confines of Kansas again challenge.

I'd like to note that I'm a frequent traveler. And a laid-back person. I get that things don't always go as we intend and I'm OK with that. I also work for a national brand and have a remedial understanding of good customer service. I often fly with Midwest Airlines and Southwest Airlines. I've tweeted and shared on a number different occasions about the FANTASTIC customer service they provide. Even when things don't go as planned.*

This time, we flew American Airlines. It was a very different experience.

In a nut shell, we spent about 12 unplanned hours of looking at this:

Instead of this:

All because of mechanical problems with a number of American Airlines aircraft.

In a nut shell, the problems consisted of 22 hours of delays, 4 attempted take-offs, 3 planes, and 1 emergency landing. And multiple emergency vehicles. But I'll get to that.

We arrived in Dallas, our connecting point, with no issues. We then boarded the flight to Cancun. We sat on it for several hours before American determined there were mechanical problems and we'd need a new plan. Several hours later, we boarded the new plane. Which left the gate, then turned back around and returned to the gate.

With a fuel pump problem. Turns out, the mechanics neglected to prime the fuel pump before this plane came out of the hanger.

Seriously? Isn't there a checklist or something? Several hours later, the fuel pumps were fixed and we attempted take-off for the 3rd time.

It was successful. For a few minutes. Then the pilot came on and said that he's sorry we've already been delayed 8 hours, but our plane has a problem with the right engine and we would be turning around and making an emergency landing in Houston. VERY shortly!

Yes, I about had a coronary on the spot.

So, we landed in Houston. Met by this:
And these:
(based on the whole handling of Hurricane Katrina, it's not comforting to see the words "George Bush" on the vehicles responding to your disaster.)
We sat in the plane for a couple more hours while they checked our engines.
Then had to stay in Houston until the next morning, when our 8:00 AM flight was scheduled to leave for Cancun (it left at noon).

Everyone lined up and waited for the plane to come in to take us to Cancun...and cheered when it arrived.
Finally, we made it safe and sound to Cancun! We were bummed to have missed 22 hours of this:

But were glad to be safe and sound.

The area we stayed was gorgeous...and it felt so good to be WARM!


We went to a local island one day to snorkel...

...and Michael got a lot of attention for his "overexposure" to the sun!

The view from our balcony was so beautiful...and seemed to change constantly.

The resort too, was splendid.

All was fine and good until our last night in Cancun.

We ate very carefully, only at recommended establishments, but nonetheless, we both got an awful stomach bug the morning of our departure! I don't have too many photos, since we took turns leaving baggage and security lines to hit the bathrooms (or, in some cases garbage cans and sinks). Yuck! We were so sick...we could barely stand by the time we boarded our flight home!
Poor Michael passed out on the DFW floor on our way home! I guess having a raging stomach flu makes it that much easier to leave paradise and oh-so-sweet to get home!!

*I know this post sounds a bit complain-y...so please know that I am very, very grateful for our jobs that allow us to take time off to vacation and the health to travel!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Wow!! The beginning and the end of your vacation sounded a bit on the crazy side, but at least you had a wonderful in between time!! Love ya and I am so glad you got to rest and relax a bit. Take care.

Katie said...

YAY for vacations. But oh your story seriously is similar to some travel nightmares I have had this year too. It seems worse than ever before. And yes having a job and vacation time is a blessing but travel nightmares are definitely something to blog about...hope to see you in April. I'll be in KC then for NAMA. Miss and love you lots Sarah. Will MISS you at CC this week in Anaheim.