Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Oggy Goes to Minnesota

As the 4th of July holiday weekend approached, it was crazy around here. I was finishing up a class for grad school and we were packing to head to MN to enjoy our last childless trip there!

By the time we arrived, I was so burned out on computers, work, papers and typing, I turned into a lazy bum! I hardly checked e-mail, Facebook, Twitter...but I also hardly took any photos. Now that I think back on all of the laid-back fun we had, I wish I would have taken more. Bummer.

But almost all of the ones I did get star this guy:


Who, as you may remember, LOVES the water. Playing in it, drinking it, swimming, you name it. Which is actually sort of funny since he's a heavy-chested boxer. He sputters and coughs and enjoys every second of being a water dog.

Michael and I had never been to Itasca State Park, which is where the Mississippi River starts. We felt like we should visit the headwaters of this mighty river while up north. Apparently, so did practically everyone else in Northern Minnesota for the holiday.

The stones in the background of this picture are the start of the river.

Oggy got a few good swigs of the headwaters.

Later, my dad watched him while we explored a bit. Dad noted that when you're with an adorable boxer dog, no one bothers you, they just talk to the dog! I thought this was cute:



We spent tons of time on the boat, which he loves. He lays back and enjoys the view.


The one problem, though, is that we all like to park the boat and take a swim. Since Oggy has to work so hard, we devised a system to help him out a bit. It looks a little funny, but works rather well!
Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of him swimming in it, but that picture in your head? The real thing was just as good.

All in all, a nice, relaxing time with family and friends. Long walks, swims, boat rides, kayak excursions, s'mores, boat repairs...all of the things that make a great MN trip. Even if I don't have too many pictures to prove it! Maybe that means I reached a new level of relaxation.

The day before we left, my dad pointed out that the next time he sees us, there will be another person in the family. I laughed as we left the next day, noting that that was the last time they'll ever be sad to see Michael and I go! :) I think we'll become chopped liver.

2 comments:

Staci said...

Ha!! You are right about that, once the babies come it is all about them!!! Looks like you had a great relaxing weekend. WE just went to Itasca state park too to the head waters of the Mississippi. Fun!! Miss you lots.

lilytheflower said...

That looks so much fun! I love your pics...you're such a great photographer :)