Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Taking Cues

I've decided to start taking cues from this guy. Yes, I know he's not the picture of intelligence (but he is pretty darn cute, hey?)...so let me explain.

My friend Linda from work as a great blog called Lessons From Mr. James. It's a sweet and introspective reflection on appreciating life from her wise little dog, Mr. James. Linda is a great writer, and Mr. James has a delightful perspective.

My dog, on the other hand, not so...academic. Wise. Or insightful. As a matter of fact, he's pretty oblivious to everything but treats and the opportunity to play. So this morning, as I dragged my still-90% asleep self out the door to go for a run, I had to laugh because he blew past me and BOUNDED out the door...sooooo excited for the first activity of the day!!! Encouraged by his enthusiasm, I set off.

Mid-run I looked up to see a beautiful sunrise bursting from the cloudy remnants of last night's storms...and got to thinking that it's a great privilege to be out there to see that. To gain the clarity of mind a morning run brings. To be alone with my thoughts. To have a chance to reflect on blessings and prayers.

And that maybe, just maybe, I should be taking attitude cues from Oggy. Lessons? That may be pushing it. But the "embrace the day with energy because it's gonna be GREAT" cues? I can do that.



5 comments:

sarah said...

ha ha ha :) cute post!

Linda said...

What do you mean, not the picture of intelligence? He looks a whole lot smarter than many people I know... and a very worthy mentor in appreciating some of the small joys that come our way. I do hope you're a less difficult student than I am, though. Mr. James has his hands (or paws, I guess) full with me.

Staci said...

Oggy you are such a cute doggy!! I love how you just bounce for the door and get your human going in the morning.

Sarah I love to pray when I run too it is just the perfect time to reflect and pray!!

Love ya

Kristen said...

I think Oggy is my dream man.

Anonymous said...

very inspiring sarah!