Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sparkling Blue Eyes

I have bright blue eyes.

As a child people would often ask,

"Where do you get those blue eyes?"

You see, my dad has deep brown eyes. My mom has hazel-ish brown eyes. My brother has deep brown eyes.

Yet mine are blue. Bright blue.

My answer to this question was always a source of great pride.

"I got 'em from my Grandpas!" I would pronounce.

Both of my grandpas had bright blue eyes. The same bright blue as mine...even a little brighter. Or maybe they just sparkled more.

I was always so proud to tell people where I got those blue eyes...a special bond I shared with my grandpas. I still think of it often, since both of these men I so loved have been gone for several years. In the old photos of brave young soldiers, the photos of them as dads, then photos of them as Grandpa's...always those same, bright blue eyes that never seemed to age.

Fast forward to adulthood. I meet my husband who has beautiful brown eyes. His parents have dark eyes but his nephew has the bright blue eyes. And they sparkle. I didn't think much of it until one day a few months after Michael's grandfather (who I never met) passed away. His dad had moved a portrait of Grandpa Mervyn to the dining room. I had never seen this particular picture before and when I picked it up to take a closer look, it took my breath away.

There were those bright blue eyes. With the unmistakable, ageless sparkle.

Michael's grandpa had them too. I felt the lump in my throat as I thought of the pride I took in claiming those bright blue eyes.

Fast forward a few more months. Michael and I, like all parents experiencing a first time pregnancy, spent countless hours talking about seemingly meaningless things, such as the possible color of our baby's eyes. We decided blue was a longshot...after all, Michael may not even carry that recessive blue gene.

To our heartbreak, a few days later, we learned this babe wouldn't be joining us here on earth. This baby we already loved, even though it was only 9 weeks worth of cells.

The grief that has followed has sent my mind and heart in a million directions. My thoughts aren't always coherent, let alone theologically sound. In my head, I know heaven is devoted to things like all creatures of the earth praising their Lord and King. Endless rejoicing. Voices lifted in eternal praise.

I get that. But there's another thought that keeps floating through my head. As theologically unsound as it may be, it is of great comfort.

It's of this baby. In whatever form we take in Glory, entering through gates of Pearl.

Surrounded by soft white clouds.

Walking down streets of gold.

Lovingly greeted by three sets of bright blue, sparkling eyes.

7 comments:

Staci said...

Sweetie,
I have no words to say as you have said it right on. I just want you to know that you and Michael are in our prayers and our thoughts always.
That is a pretty cool bond that you and Nicholas have with those blue eyes amongst all those brown eyes!! Take care my friend.

Katie said...

Oh Sarah...you have amazing and beautiful words to share. We are praying for you and Michael.

Drew and Kim Cox said...

Aiden will have to give the same answer as Kim and I both have brown/hazelish eyes, and he has blue ones, just like both grandpa's! Thanks for sharing the story. You guys are both in our prayers daily!

Linda said...

Sarah, I was unaware of your loss and I am so sorry to learn of it. I also am grateful to have had the opportunity to read this beautiful post.

Blommy Mogger said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just am now reading your post. Hope you had a good trip to LV!

sarah said...

great post, sarah.
you're on my mind lots :)

Gina said...

Hi Sarah,
I saw your post on Angies blog. I too lost a baby at 9 weeks. It was my third and it was a hard time. I am very lucky to have had a healthy boy since who is now 6 and has sparkling blue eyes. I send you out all my thoughts and wish for you happiness in your future as I have been so lucky to have in mine.
Gina